- RESEARCH MODE
- RESEARCH FIELDS
- MIXED MODE
- PEO-IEG & PLO-IEG
- OFFSHORE PROGRAM
- ENGLISH REQUIREMENT
- TUITION FEES
- CONTACT US
School of Dental Sciences offers a wide range of research areas in health, clinical research, craniofacial biology, biomaterial, molecular biology and quality of life.
The list of research areas is as follows:
Master of Paediatric Dentistry
Master of Paediatric Dentistry is a specialty program which is offered by the School of Dental Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
The program is established to train dental graduates to become Paediatric Dentistry specialists. Up to the year 2020, there are less than 70 Paediatric Dentistry specialists in Malaysia. Therefore, the establishment of the programme by the School of Dental Sciences, USM could help in fulfilling the country’s needs to increase the number of specialists to accommodate the increase in population and standard of oral health care. Other than that, as knowledge and technology of dentistry advances, more graduates will be interested to further their studies and update their knowledge and skills. As for 2021 intake, only 2 universities in our country offering training in Paediatric Dentistry (Universiti Malaya and Universiti Teknologi MARA). There is a need for a similar program established by the School of Dental Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia to increase the number of paediatric dentistry specialists in Malaysia.
Master of Paediatric Dentistry program has been offered upon request by the Oral Health Division, Ministry of Health to increase the number of Paediatric Dentistry specialists in the country. Requests were also received from international students, seeking a place to specialise in Paediatric Dentistry.
This program shall consist of three phases: Phase I, II and III.
Phase1 is the first year of the Master of Paediatric Dentistry program. It comprises of instructions in Basic Medical and Dental Science subjects such as Pathology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Anatomy and Histology over a period of six (6) months. The candidates have to sit for Basic Science Examination at the end of semester I Year 1. The final six (6) months of Year 1 comprises of operative techniques in the skill laboratory and clinical training in Paediatric Dentistry specialty as well as introducing the students to research methodology and biostatistics.
Phase II is the second year of the Master of Paediatric Dentistry program. It comprises of a research component in the specialty option chosen by the students and the need to write up a dissertation as partial fulfillment of the program. There are also clinical practices throughout the year.
Phase III is the third and fourth year of the Master of Paediatric Dentistry program. It comprises of complex clinical practices in the field of Paediatric Dentistry chosen by the candidates. There will also be coursework such as lectures and seminars. The research component in the specialty option continues, leading to the submission of a dissertation three months before the end of Year 3 followed by a viva defense.
The Year Four program comprises of a three (3) month clinical attachment in the specialty in the clinical training centre recognized by the University. Advanced clinical practices and coursework in the specialty option continues until near the completion of the course.
Applicants should possess the following:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Dentistry (BDS, DDS, or an equivalent degree) recognized by the Malaysian Dental Council
- Have at least three years post registration experience in dentistry. Staff from the Ministry Of Health must complete at least 3 years of compulsory services.
- Obtain at least a credit in Bahasa Malaysia in SPM/ STPM (for Malaysian citizens) or equivalent examination.
- Local candidates will be called for interview by Postgraduate Committee before the final selection
- Candidates are required to meet all other requirements set from time to time by the Postgraduate Committee, School Board, or USM.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
The exemption is given to the candidate if:
- A minimum score of 40 for TOEFL (Internet-based); or
- A minimum of Band 7.5 for TOEFL Essentials (Online); or
- A minimum of Band 5 for IELTS; or
- A minimum score of 47 for PTE; or
- A minimum score of 154 for Cambridge English (CAE/CPE); or
- A minimum score of 154 for Linguaskill Online; or
- A minimum of Band 3.5 for MUET
- English is the candidate’s mother tongue or National Language; or
- The candidate graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction at Bachelor and/or Master degree level is English (statement of proof required)
Full-time: Min 8 semesters / Max 14 semesters
· Registration Fee: 310.00
· Personal Bond: N/A
· Tuition Fee : 20,000.00 x 8 semester = 160,000.00
· Convocation Fee: 200.00
· Registration Fees: 222.50
· Personal Bond: 1000.00
· Tuition Fees : 7,500.00 x 8 semester = 60,000.00
· Convocation Fee: 50.00
** Fees are subject to change
For further information, please contact the Program Chairperson at the following email address:
Dr. Fadzlinda Baharin
Master of Dental Public Health
The MDPH program covers a minimum period of one (1) academic year consisting of two (2) semesters of 14 learning and teaching weeks each. The maximum duration of candidature is two (2) years. This full-time coursework program consists of nine (9) courses including a research project. Methods of learning and teaching include lectures, seminars, group discussions, practical classes, and specific assignments such as reports and community projects. Courses offered are the core courses in Dental Public Health that will equip candidates with the knowledge and skills required to achieve the objectives of this program. Candidates are required to register and pass all courses.
TOTAL UNIT FOR GRADUATION = 40 UNIT
Candidates will be awarded the Master of Dental Public Health upon completion of this program.
Dr. Munirah Mohd Adnan
Phone: +609 767 5888
Doctorate in Dental Public Health Program (DrDPH)
The Doctorate in Dental Public Health is a full-time doctoral program. Dental Public Health the specialty of dentistry that concerns with the promotion of oral health, the prevention of oral diseases, and the provision and administration of oral health and dental care services in defined populations and communities. It recognises the role of behavioural and environmental factors as determinants of oral health. Epidemiological principles are applied to describe and define dental public health problems, as well as to formulate and evaluate oral health programs and policies. This approach aims to improve the oral health of communities as much as individuals through practice of evidence-based dentistry and proficient management of oral health care and resources.
The DrDPH program covers a minimum period of three (3) academic years consisting of six (6) semesters of 14 learning and teaching weeks each. The maximum duration of candidature is five (5) years. This full-time coursework program consists of ten (10) courses.
TOTAL UNIT FOR GRADUATION = 86 UNIT
Candidates will be awarded the Doctorate in Dental Public Health upon completion of this program.
Dr. Munirah Mohd Adnan
Phone: +609 767 5888
PEO-IEG & PLO-IEGPEO-IEG and PLO-IEG Mapping for Postgraduate ProgramMixed-modeCoursework
- Master of Restorative Dentistry (Prosthodontics)
- Master of Restorative Dentistry (Periodontics)
- Master of Restorative Dentistry (Conservative)
- Master of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Master of Paediatric Dentistry
- Master of Dental Public Health
OFFSHORE PROGRAMR34 - Doctor of Philosophy (Offshore European Global School, University Istanbul)RS1C - Master of Science (Dentistry) (Offshore European Global School, University Istanbul)
- Dr. Fadi Hassan
- Dr. Liliane Majed
- Mr. Walid Ghannoum
- SOP For USM Student Applications - European Global School (EGS)
- Supervision Guidelines for Offshore Program
- Slide SOP EGS
Postgraduate Office3rd Floor, School of Dental Sciences
Universiti Sains Malaysia, Health Campus
16150 Kubang Kerian,
Kota Bharu, Kelantan,Malaysia.
Phone : +609-767 5704 / 5521Contact Person:Wan Hafizol Wan YaacobAssistant RegistrarEmail :